Wednesday, March 16, 2011

And a Top O' The Morning to You!!!


Tomorrow is the 17th of March, St. Patricks Day. Legend says that St. Patrick, who was the Patron Saint of Ireland, used the Shamrock to explain the meaning of the Trinity to the pagans who worshiped idols. It is also said that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland. Snakes were thought to be a part of this heathen way of worship. Truth is, there were probably never any snakes in Ireland. How would I know though, Saint Patrick died on March 17, 460 A.D. or sometime near that. That was way before my time.

Through the ages St. Patricks Day has expanded to mean many things in many cultures. To the Irish, it is a religious holiday. The day is spent at Mass and in prayer. All of the businesses, except for the pubs and cafes, are closed. It is a day for Spiritual Renewal. I am wondering about the Pubs being open though. I guess that is for the "Spirits".

March 17th is also celebrated by doing anything that is Irish or that connects with Ireland. Wear green, gold, shamrocks, and have "Good Luck". In America, Irish communities also have parades, festive music eat lots of Irish food and play games.
There is also the idea that if you don't wear green, you will be pinched. I don't know if that is an Irish tradition or not. I always worried that I would not have anything green to wear until I bought a green pin that had a little leprichan sitting on a pot of gold, holding a shamrock. That covered all of the bases.

On of our favorite things to eat is Blarney Stones. If you haven't had this, you are really missing out. My daughters family makes the best ones. I have made them only once and that was enough for me. They are time consuming so I just get one from her to eat. It is a lot less fattening to do it that way too.

My mother always fixed corned beef, irish potatoes, and whatever else she could think of to celebrate the day. She also fixed green jello. She was good to think about celebrating the day. My dad, was called "Pat". That was not his given name but he earned that name as a very small child. His home was near a new highway that was being built through the country in the 1920's. A big part of the workers were Irish. Dad developed quite and Irish brogue and was therefore called "little Irish Paddy". The name was later shortened to Pat and most people thought that was his name. Two of his great grandsons are named Patrick to honor him.

Tomorrow, I will get out my green shirt and find my Irish Pin and see what a good Irish meal I can fix for the Rancher. If you make some Blarney Stones, eat one for me, as I probably will miss out this year unless I get really ambitious.

Have a Happy St. Patricks Day and may the Luck of the Irish be with You. (whatever that is)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a Blarney Stone from Aunt Shirley for lunch--YUM!

Andi said...

I thought this was surely meant to say "topple" of the morning to you!