Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Making Do and Using it Up

What kind of a title is THAT!!! Well. it is just the only thing I could think of. I grew up in a large family and my parents were products of the Depression Era of the 1930's. To throw out food was almost a sin. Mom had a use for every last morsel. Today, I still had roast left from Sunday dinner and a large container of gravy.( When will I ever learn how to cook for two again?) When I came home from Bible Study, I was rushed for time and was thankful for what I had. Guess what, I also had noodles in the freezer. I put some water on to boil, added the gravy and part of the beef and when it was boiling, added the noodles. I sliced some tomatoes and cooked some fresh broccoli (in the microwave) and it was a great meal. I still have roast for beef salad sandwiches for another day. The broccoli was left over from a vegetable tray. USE IT UP.


The Rancher likes a hearty noon meal and a light one in the evening. On the ranch, we have Dinner at midday and Supper in the evening. My sister and I had a good laugh about the people who miss a good meal out here because they got the two mixed up. Heck, some folks missed the meal completely.

This afternoon, after ignoring the pile of bananas on my cabinets for two days, I knew that I had to do something with them...I had brought them in from the RV where they had been forgotten about. Dark skinned bananas make the BEST breads and cakes.
this is one of my favorite recipes and is so easy to make. I am thinking that it might not be the healthiest thing in the world, but eat a small piece and take it to Bible Study or Church business meeting (ours is a small group) or just share it with your neighbor and you will be rewarded.

CAKE THAT DOESN'T LAST LONG
3 cups of flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon each: soda, salt, and cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
1 8 ounce can juice packed pineapple (crushed)
2 cups mashed bananas
1 1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Make well in center. Add eggs, undrained pineapple, bananas, oil and vanilla and pecans. Stir until just moistened. Spoon into greased and floured tube pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until done. Ovens vary so yours might need to be checked afte 1 hr and 15 minutes.
Invert on rack to cook. When cool....

Frost with: Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter that has softened
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans if desired.

Cream ingredients with mixer until light and fluffy and spread on cooled cake.

UMMMMMM Good!!!!

See what good things you can have when you clean out the frig or use up what you might have thrown out. It is time to be conservative. Andi, don't ya wish you had some of those noodles? I wish you were here to share them too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

loved the poem from the previous post and I want some of this cake now. Since I've hardly eaten anything in the last week!