Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What the heck is an X Box???

I am in the wrong generation. I do not know what anyone is talking about, about half of the time. My grandkids just look at me like I am a little senile and my kids are sure that I am. I know that when I was a kid, we played a tag game and we had a big circle with a big X in it to put all of our captives. Is that an X box? Well, no of course not, but what in the world is it?

And a blackberry used to be what made up my favorite pie and jam but today it is something of a cell phone or whatever, I don't know. I think I am going to have one of my grandchildren move in with me for a course this summer so I can learn something of the technical generation.

But do I really want to? Probably not!! I am really happy just where I am, and that is probably why I am not learning anything new. I like my rut. It is rather comfortable and all of my friends are here with me. Well, most of them anyway.

I know a few things that my grandkids don't know. They don't even know what a fender skirt is. Maybe they don't even know what a fender is. And what about a steering knob. Remember those? Boy was that a nifty thing to use. My mom always called the accelerator, the foot feed. Now what would my grandkids think of that? There was also a continental Kit on the back of some cars. Do you know what that was?

What about the gramophone? That is what Grandma called my record player. My kids called it a stereo or boom box. Now it has gone from a cassette player to a CD player to a I Pod, whatever that is. Grandma even had to wind her machine up with a crank on the side. We had electricity and we really made an impression when we got our first transister radio. We couldn't get anything on it in our isolated area, but we had one!! Do you think kids know what a 45 is, or a 78. No, it is not some kind of a gun. It is what I played on my record player along with my LP's.

On Saturday afternoon, or night we went to the picture show. That just sounds a little more exciting than the Movie. I mean you were really going to see something great. Probably Gene Autry, or Roy Rogers on a good Saturday afternoon. If we were lucky we would have 15 cents to buy popcorn and a coke. Yep, we could get a sack of popcorn and coke for that. That was hard earned money though but that is another story.

Well so much about what I don't know. I could write forever but I don't know what to write about since I don't know anything. Blaaa, blaaa, yackity yackity......

4 comments:

Andi said...

Blaaa, blaaa, yackity yackity......

You are too funny...I'm not even sure I know what all of those things are...

Sarah Kamolz said...

Okay so I don't know what a fender skirt is but I do know what a fender is. I want to guess a steering knob might be one of those turning knobs you attach to your steering wheel so that you can drive better one handed. My dad had something like that. The word foot feed is not at all unknown to me. I think I am old enough to understand that. However a continental kit I am not so sure about. I know what a gramophone is and they are really cool. And the funny thing is I actually played some 45s on a record player on Saturday! And I am assuming 78 is similar and probably bigger and or something... I know it must go fast because 33 goes slower than 45. And I do know that 33 and 45 are rpms (rotations per minute). I actually have some 33 1/2s in my room! But not sure what an LP is. Pictures show is easy and yeah it does sound more exciting!

But you know maybe it's because I am your OLDEST grandchild and not so young as the rest of 'em! Love you!

Unknown said...

Love it--These are my favorite kinds of posts!

Marilyn said...

Good for you Sarah, I thought that you would know. I am talking about the last 6. an LP is a Long Playing album Hey they even had some that were 16. thanks for reading.